Monday, November 17, 2008

I was at the bookstore this weekend (typical) and I couldn't help but notice main displays were dominated by three title varieties. It didn't thrill me about what we have to look forward to.

1.) The Twilight Series--They were everywhere, a couple cover art varieties for each book in the series.

2.) Recession/Uber-recession/Doomsday Books--How to handle your finances in a shit storm.

3.) Soon-to-be-Commander-in-Chief Obama--Books by Obama, books about Obama, books about books about Obama.

Apparently this is all we read now. I wonder if something about Wall Street vampires with political ambitions is worth penning.


In December I'm going to give away Bernhard Schlink's The Reader. It was recommended to me and a quick read, so I'll send my copy your way come the beginning of next month. Remember, you just have so be an email subscriber (sidebar) to be eligible for that. Pretty straightforward.

So here's my question for you this week: What's your big-picture writing approach? Do you hit key plot points then fill the rest in later? Do you include important bits about the characters first? Do you outline by scene, by plot, by setting? The nitty gritty--lay it out for me.


EXPLAIN
SUBSCRIBE
MANUSCRIPT PROGRESS

FACEBOOK
TWITTER

SOME BOOKS
FROM MY LIBRARY