Tuesday, November 11, 2008

As a writer I always find myself pondering the paradox of the big-box bookseller. You know who I mean--the B&N, Borders, etc. Although I do spend a lot of time in my local used bookstore, I'm then at the mercy of what they have in stock. My "want list" in their computer just grows and they call me in should they get the book I want. As someone who has plenty of books to read in the meantime this works fine, but what about everyone else?

Even B&N, et al. are feeling the pinch from places like Amazon.com and other online retailers. Where does this leave the writer? The reader? Overall, all things considered, are the big-box book retailers a blessing or curse? I'm all over the map when it comes to this one. I think my opinion differs drastically from day to day depending on how much I enjoyed my morning bagel or how high gas prices are or if the Broncos are doing well. So set me straight--what do you think?

And be sure to sign up for the podcast. You can add it to iTunes directly from the sidebar.


EXPLAIN
SUBSCRIBE
MANUSCRIPT PROGRESS

FACEBOOK
TWITTER

SOME BOOKS
FROM MY LIBRARY